Written by: Kimberly White
Project Green Schools has announced the honorees for the 2019 Green Difference Awards.
Project Green Schools is an award-winning organization focused on greening schools and developing the next generation of environmental leaders. They have been recognized by the US Department of Education, US EPA, and were honored by former U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry for their commitment to and encouragement of green education and awareness.
The 11th annual Green Difference Awards (GDA) shines a spotlight on green education advocates including principals, teachers, advisors, students, citizens, schools, and school clubs.
Emceed by award-winning journalist Karen Anderson, the awards ceremony will take place on May 10th from 10am-12pm EST at the Massachusetts State House.
The keynote address will be given by Documentary Director and Producer Linda Booker. Booker directed and produced STRAWS, a documentary that highlights the plastic pollution crisis and empowers individuals to be part of the solution.
The GDA will also feature an Eco Fashion show by Quincy High School-Fashion Technology and remarks by Plastic Pollution Coalition Youth Ambassador and Founder of Madhvi 4 Eco Ethics, Madhvi Chittoor.
The 2019 Green Difference Awards Honorees are:
- Green and Healthy Schools
- DCPS Stockton ES Green Team, Florida Stockton Elementary
- Green and Healthy Lifestyle through Green Education, NPS International School Guwahati
- GreenFutures Sustainability Program, The School District of Philadelphia
- Making A Difference with Plants, Catherine Staid and Eliza Woodward Manchester-Essex High School Green Team
- Mission Green Mumbai, Subhajit Mukherjee
- Support Greeny and Happy, Healthy Forever, PSGR Krishnammal Nursery and Primary School
- Green Living and Consumerism
- Justin Sather, www.ForTheLoveOfFrogs.com
- Congressional School’s Globally-Wise Reusable Bag & Single Use Plastics Reduction Campaign, Congressional School
- Food and Agriculture
- Braiding the Sacred Community Gardening, Saponi Stickball
- Youth Villages AmeriCorps Outdoor Kitchen, Youth Villages-Inner Harbour Campus
- STEM and the Future of Sustainability
- Fish in the Classroom, William D’Abate Elementary School
- Broward County Sistrunk Bioswale Demonstration Project, Broward County Environmental Planning and Community Resilience Division
- Outdoor Learning and Exploration
- Gardening project and introduction of NGSS in the Farmingdale community, Farmingdale High School
- WISE Garden (Wildcats Initiative for a Sustainable Environment), Twin Lakes Academy Elem Green Team
- William Kenney & Josef Vytopil, Manchester-Essex High School Green Team
- Waste Management
- Reseller Website on FaceBook and Storage Hauling, Angel’s Gate High School LAUSD
- How Low Can You Go Challenge (Energy/Water), Driftwood Middle Schoo Academy of Health and Wellness
- Land, Air, & Natural World
- Jennifer Cheng, San Pedro High School LAUSD
- Lifetime Achievement Award
- Denise Scribner
- John Kakandelwa
- Korry VanWagoner DCPS Green Champions Teacher Liaison
Project Green Schools will also present one graduating senior with the Green Difference Maker Scholarship. The Scholarship is presented to seniors who are pursuing higher education in an energy-related field and has demonstrated exceptional leadership on behalf of Project Green Schools.
To learn more about Project Green Schools or to attend the Green Difference Awards on May 10th, please visit Project Green Schools.
Header Image: Shutterstock